What are Scope 3 emissions?
Scope 3 emissions include the remainder of indirect GHG emissions which cannot be categorised as energy-related emissions in Scope 2. Scope 3 emissions occur outside the organisation, e.g. in the supply chain, as well as during transport and distribution (by subcontractors), business travel, employee commuting, and waste.
What is included in Scope 3 emissions?
The GHG Protocol lists 15 different categories that are included in the Scope 3 emissions. The categories are as follows:
- Purchased goods and services
- Capital goods
- Fuel- and energy related activities not included in Scope 1 and 2
- Transport and delivery (upstream and downstream)
- Waste generated in operations
- Business trips
- Employee Commuting
- Upstream and downstream leased assets
- Use of sold products
- End-of-life treatment of sold products
How to measure Scope 3 emissions?
The GHG Protocol provides a thorough guidance which includes all necessary steps to measure the Scope 3 emissions that are related to your product or corporation.